The dairy Industry in South Africa (and all over the world really):
Did you know: Just like people, cows must give birth in order to produce milk.
In order to maximize production, dairy cows spend their lives in a constant cycle of artificial impregnation on factory farms to make the milk that nature intended for their calves.
Within hours of giving birth a cow’s calf is taken away, causing extreme stress to both mother and her young calf. If her calf is a boy (who will never produce milk), he is regarded as having ‘no value’.
The NSPCA Farm Animal Protection Unit inspects dairy farms on a regular basis to ensure that our dairy cows are treated humanely.
There is nothing humane about having your baby ripped from your arms and milked till you are dry, however, there are some farms (overseas in particular) where cows and their calves are treated like garbage.
Our Inspectors ensure that dairy cows in South Africa receive the highest standard of care, within the parameters of the law.
We urge our fans to spread the word and educate others on dairy farms. Choose alternatives to dairy!
Here we have a list of alternatives to milk:
Dairy alternatives available in South Africa:
- Blue Diamond Almond Breeze: Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, a great tasting and all-natural alternative to milk made from almonds. Almond Breeze is a low-calorie, cholesterol- and lactose-free alternative to dairy.
- Alpro Soya: On your breakfast cereal, in a tasty recipe or simply as a refreshing drink, Alpro’s soy milks are deliciously versatile at any time of the day. Available in Natural (fortified with calcium and vitamin B-12) and Salt and Sugar-free versions.
- Earth & Co Rice Drink: Earth & Co. Rice Drink has a light, naturally sweet, refreshing and mild vanilla flavour that appeals to the whole family. An easily digestible drink that’s dairy-free, making it ideal for people who are lactose intolerant and allergic to dairy or soya.
- Eden Soy: Earth Products imports and distributes the EdenSoy range of organic soya milks from Eden Foods in the USA. High in protein, potassium and B vitamins, these non-dairy milks are available in original, unsweetened and vanilla flavour.
- Good Hope: Good Hope Soy Milk is a smooth, richly textured milk. It is made from non-genetically modified and naturally grown soybeans.
- Horchata Tigernut Drink: Plamil’s organic concentrated Horchata Tigernut Drink is dairy-free, gluten-free and suitable for coeliacs.
- Milky Coco: Milky Coco Coconut Milk Drink is a combination of coconut milk (the liquid from grated meat of a ripe coconut) and coconut water (the clear liquid inside young coconuts), which gives you a delicious coconut milk drink. It is best served chilled.
*Information on alternatives gathered from vegansa.com